Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Incredibly Late Post 1

Two things before I begin answering the question. First, I had thought that I would post last in an effort to challenge myself, but, after reading both the prior posts and the syllabus, I've come to two conclusions: I am surrounded by some highly intelligent individuals and I have waited too long to post. I'm not sure if this will count for much, but I felt the need to contribute, even if not for my own welfare.



In reading all of your posts, I've seen a recurring theme dealing with subliminal messaging. From the posts of politics to fast food chains, subliminal messages were, for once, obvious. I'm hoping to bring my background to the table now. In sports publications, the epitome being Sports Illustrated and ESPN, it is very common for columnists and writers to include pictures with their writings. The paramount realization here is that the majority of people don't read magazines. Instead, they "thumb through" them. If I, as a sports writer create a noticeable title claiming that Albert Pujols of the St. Louis Cardinals is a great role model for children, I will have convinced the majority of readers by no other means than by including pictures of Pujols with his family and signing autographs for kids. Readers will see the pictures and read the captions, thus understanding the basic point of the article. This is how visual rhetoric can work in the sports field.


I didn't see as many posts concerning the "make or break" topic, so I'm not sure if we were supposed to post on both. I will for the sake of debate. I had originally wanted to post on the iPhone commercial displaying the ease of use for sporadic thoughts, beginning with watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and ending with calling for reservations at a seafood restaurant. However, the iPhone has been used. Instead, I want to talk about TV commercials I've seen for Devry and ITT Tech. Has anyone else noticed that these ads contain people talking about how their life has reached a "dead end"? There life is standing still. Now move forward to later in the ad. These same individuals are traveling, actively moving around as we the viewers listen to how these institutions can "jump start" our lives. The visual pictures may not necessarily display the classes, but it presents an appeal to those "not doing anything with their lives."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home