Thursday, August 30, 2007

My Joshua Tree Moment

Since reading William's book I have become ridiculously aware of people's tendency to center advertisements. All over campus I see fliers, much like those we discussed in class, that are centered simply because students are not aware of any other options. However, this problem goes beyond the Clemson campus. As I was driving through Easley earlier today, I couldn't even keep track of all of the center-justified billboards. There were billboards for car dealerships, gyms, agencies, and countless other products/organizations that could have created more interesting advertisements had they simply played around with alignment a little more. These Joshua Tree moments have definitely dissuaded me from using center alignment when creating an advertisement.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger michael hovan said...

I am formerly a major proponent of the center-alignment school of thought. Now, I know better. Thanks, Robin Williams. I owe you. And, yes Ali, you are exactly right! You'd think people would pay for a good design if they're going to spend $1000's on a billboard. I suppose this is where WE will be needed after graduation! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home