Friday, September 14, 2007

Havenworks takes the cake...

...and the Chinese Crested pooches are runners up. Wow.

I thought I had found a horrible site when I stumbled across Zyra. I thought I had it in the bag. In the end, Havenworks amplifies all that is wrong with Zyra by a factor of, oh, 12? At least everything fits on one page at Zyra without SIDEWAYS SCROLLING! AAAHHHH!

Here's the thing about Havenworks: It is not a mere challenge to scroll to the bottom. It is a marathon for your sensitive wrist ligaments. Havenworks' alignment is horrendous. The colors are probably detrimental to your monitor.

And guess what? This is incredible: The size of the page, text-based code only, is 1.1 MB!!!!! AARRGGHHH!! Your computer is forced to load that. That DOES NOT include images, which are much, much bigger. This means...wow, I could not begin to guess...hold on...I am running an analysis of the total home page size. Ok: 3.3 MB. You have to load the equivalent of one iTune to view their page. Google's homepage is approx. 1.47 kb.

This point of page size may seem tangential, I know. But the load time will strongly influence the visual effectiveness of a page, will it not? This is amazing. Well done, Havenworks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home