Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Week 3: 3 points and a question

It's odd how White says to treat everything on the page as a different element, yet Williams breaks down the different kinds of contrast as seen with different kinds of type: size, weight, structure, form, direction color, and White generalizes all elements into 10 different contrasts.

I find Williams book to be much more effective than White's at the present. I think White is over the top in the design of his own book and it is rather cluttered and violates the space issues he discusses. The book is mosaic as he tries to crowd ever last bit of information on to the page. My eyes are constantly distracted and the flow is interrupted.

As White says, space adds functionality, thus make the document useful to the reader. The usefulness of a document is determined by "wayfinding," the way people maneuver through information.

He just barely touches on "wayfinding" and this seems an important point as he says, it has less to do with aesthetics. So how does, and what beyond space contributes to wayfinding?

1 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger michael hovan said...

I concur! Here, here! I'm not sure if White is trying to super-saturate his pages or not. I also found it to be fairly distracting. HOWEVER, I thought the examples were amazing, so it almost balances out for me. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home