Tuesday, September 04, 2007

There is much to learn...

Once again, Robin Williams has done an amazing job of laying things out succinctly. I feel like my eyes have been opened a bit wider, and am ashamed of my previous layout/text ineptness. Some of these things are intuitive, but when I read them I can really say to myself "Wow. Yeah, THAT's what I was feeling."
  • A valuable, honest point from the latter half of her book: Always try to upstage your client's dorky, structurally-bad design!
  • Another excellent point: Try to make text direction work only along the 'X' & 'Y' Axes. Not diagonally. (Unless you can verbalize why it's OK to do so!)
  • A third great point from Williams: You can create color with type - Another intuitive thing that would be good to "take ownership of."
  • A point from White's text that I found particularly interesting: "Plan color from the start."
This makes a lot of sense to me, especially as I am learning to consider all the various design elements as a unified whole. Some of my past projects were failures; I think because I tried to add color at the end. It was not part of the plan from its inception, so it worked in opposition to the piece. I find color to be difficult to use.

My question:

- Do you think that publishing/graphic design in an electronic medium is leading to greater innovation, or merely making us lazier due to its non-permanence?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home